Saturday, April 9, 2011

The awesomely exciting beginnings of it all.

Today I decided, after much thought and consideration, to give it a go as a makeup artist! Will it work out for me? Maybe, but this time I'm not going to let the possibility of failure stop me from trying it out. Not this time. In case you can't tell yet, I'm pretty good at psyching myself out. I'm trying not to do that to myself anymore as I've come to realize that not doing something due to fear of failure is even worse that failure. Because you at least tried to have been able to fail. 

My love of makeup started many years ago when I was about ten years old. I would try to get those makeup kits for little girls but my mom would never want to buy them for me. When I finally got one, my mom would never let me wear the makeup outside the house. When I was thirteen all I know was to put some blue eyeshadow on my lids because I thought it would accent my blue eyes. I knew nothing else of makeup but I thought I was awesome for being able to wear my rocking icy blue eyeshadow.

By the time I got to high school, I discovered that doing a black line in my waterline would accent the blue in my eyes and make my eyelashes look fuller. My learning process for a long time was very slow but I still loved makeup and I loved getting makeup as birthday and christmas presents. I wanted to learn more but, for some reason, I never thought to play with it as if it were a hobby.

When I moved to the United States, I was asked to help out with the makeup for a theater production of "The Lion In Winter". I got to learn how to do aging makeup and also how to make fake pimples. Learning how to do stage makeup was a blast for me and, had it not been for the help of the wonderful lead who would come in early so I could practice makeup on him, I would not have been able to get my slow start in my pursuit of a career in makeup.

Why do I say slow? Because that was over four years ago...

What changed recently? I offered to do a friend's makeup for her wedding. Why? I don't know. I knew I was ok at doing some makeup but it never dawned on me until later how big a task I was taking on. So what did I do? Go to youtube, of course. And start watching a ton of makeup tutorials. And practicing my technique. In such a short amount of time I'm doing things I wouldn't have thought possible on my eyes due to being convinced for the longest time that my hooded eyes meant no fun eyeshadow stylings. I'm so excited about doing makeup that I'm even trying to figure out ways to get my boyfriend to let me do makeup on his face. If he does ever let me, I probably won't post pictures of it. Probably. :-p

So what's in store for me in the near future? Convince a bunch of my friends to let me do their makeup and take pictures so I can start building my portfolio. Maybe even do some makeup tutorial videos if I'm feeling daring.

I can't freaking wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment